Monday, October 8, 2018

Our Simple Homeschool Preschool Schedule


Officially starting Pre-K 4 with Evie this year has really challenged me on so many levels. What used to be a few simple crafts and learning about letters has now morphed into play based learning for the better half of the day. Ella has started to join in as her curiosity grows and changes.

I know I've shared my heart on Charlotte Mason based methods before, and while I'm still very loosely following those methods, I've also come to terms with the fact that every child and every family has unique needs!

So, cue my surprise when my oldest BEGS to do school each day, ALL day. Her love for learning is both precious and time consuming. I finally realized that when she was asking to do school she was wanting a real school book! After doing a little research, I settled on Learning Without Tears as my go to resource for this semester. She started on the Pre-K book (Handwriting without Tears), and oh my goodness has she devoured it! I have to admit, full blown mommy pride swelled in my heart as I watched her work so diligently on each page. Ella wanted her own workbook too, so I found a few alphabet books at the dollar tree. The DT has been such a wonderful recourse for me this year!

Here's a little peek into our morning:

Morning Basket Time: I plan to do a full video on this, but we use this time focus on scripture reading, a short devotion and reciting prayers. The girls adore this time together, and Evie will often gather the books for me and bring them to the table during breakfast. I have to say it has done my own heart good to keep Christ the focus of our day!

Letter Review: After our morning basket, we focus on letter recognition and sounds using the BOB books and ABC Mouse. The short videos have been the perfect outlet for both girls.

Five In A Row: We typically read aloud our FIAR book together 4 to 5 days a week on a two week rotation. I like to keep coloring pages and simple crafts on hand that coordinate with the story that we are reading together. I also like to find age appreciate YouTube videos that correspond with what we are learning.

Nature & Art: Every day I try to have time outside for playing, nature walks, and fresh air. We also listen to classical music or jazz music during art time. Evie is also taking a homeschool art class geared to younger children. She loves it and it gives her a taste of structured classroom and following simple instructions.

Handwriting Without Tears: I added this workbook on a two day a week rotation. It's just enough to satisfy her need for book work (she's so much like her mom!) without overdoing it. I try to keep work books to a minimum. :)

This is all broken up through out the day. I love learning along with them! I should also mention that's a bit of a humbling process, too.

Hope you enjoyed a little peek into our homeschool preschool days! Happy Monday, friends.


2 comments:

  1. I very much enjoyed reading this! You are an amazing mom. <3

    Madison | Breakfast at Madison’s

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Heather!
    This lovely post took me right back!
    Wonderful ideas, wonderful Mommy!

    ReplyDelete

My Blog Has Moved....

 I have officially moved my blog.... https://thekindredschoolroom.blogspot.com Hope you join me there!! ~Heather

About Me

My photo
I'm a wife, homeschool mom, and homemaker learning to enjoy the simple things in life. Which may or may not include a good latte, meaningful books, decorating my home, and all things French & Disney related. Thanks for visiting!