Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Reservations For Two


When I first heard about the Two Blue Doors series, I had mixed feelings. Trying out new authors is a bit like going on a date. You really don't know what to expect. It can either feel "right" or just "off".  When you get a "right", you are generally happy to move on to the second date, or in this case, second book.

Thankfully, Hillary Manton Lodge's first book was right on so many levels. I just loved the slow-paced aspect of the book, which is actually rare for me. However, Lodge so perfectly weaves the story line you find yourself falling more in love with each character. The story unfolds with seasoned grace, and just enough twists to keep you wondering what will happen next.

Her second novel, Reservations for Two, absolutely stole my attention. I have to say I actually liked it better than the first. By the time you sink into the second novel you are fully aware of all the stakes involved of our main character, Juliette, and the supporting roles.

Juliette is facing major life changes on many levels. With her new career, budding relationship, and the heartbreak of possibly losing her mother to cancer, she learns to rise above and conquer what she really wants out of life. The ending of the book provided quite the surprise for me. Perhaps, I should have seen it coming, but I figured the novel would have a typical fairy tale ending. Not quite. Honestly, I think that's why I loved it so much. Authors who are brave enough to throw a cog in a story line show a lot of courage. And I love that!

Oh, and did I mention the recipes? I love reading about Juliette cooking up a storm to relive stress or to impress her friends. I can't wait to try a few of them out myself.

I'm giving this one a hearty five stars! A million thanks to the kind folks at Blogging for Books for my copy. I will be standing in line for the third novel.

1 comment:

  1. YES! I'm so with you. Hillary has a masterful skill telling this story. It's so well done and unfolds beautifully all around. I didn't even mind the way it ended and am all the more curious for book three, which will presumably be the final novel. :)

    ReplyDelete

My Blog Has Moved....

 I have officially moved my blog.... https://thekindredschoolroom.blogspot.com Hope you join me there!! ~Heather

About Me

My photo
I'm a wife, homeschool mom, and homemaker learning to enjoy the simple things in life. Which may or may not include a good latte, meaningful books, decorating my home, and all things French & Disney related. Thanks for visiting!