Monday, August 1, 2016

What I'm Into: July Edition


I can't believe we are well over half way through the year! July flew by...or so it felt. Here's my lists of things I was really into for the month of July...


Books & More Books:
I was out late one night at Barnes and Noble when I noticed they had Sophie Hudson's latest book out. I bought it, and read Giddy Up, Eunice in about two days flat. I loved her first book Home is Where My People Are. So much in fact, that I read it twice. I was excited to see the pages of Giddy Up, Eunice were filled with her trademark wit and wisdom. She tackles the issues of women needing friendship, and what it means to be there for each other. I think it would make a great group study or Bible study.

I also tackled a new author to me, Liane Moriarty. I read What Alice Forgot, and was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed the novel (minus some crude language). The plot was an entirely new idea to me, and it felt a bit refreshing. The characters were believeable, the plot built up quickly, and she took her time with the ending. I may or may not have read this in one day.

I also read Without A Trace by Dee Henderson. It was PERFECT in terms of Henderson + Mystery reading. I've been a fan of her novels for years. You can read my full review here.

Other titles Read: Better Than Before by Gretchen Rubin, The Birth Order Book by Kevin Leman, Fatal Judgement by Irene Hannon (SO GOOD).

Podcasts Galore:
Oh goodness, I have enjoyed Podcasts like crazy. The one that stood out was a podcast by Focus on The Family that featured Chelsea & Kirk Cameron. The topic was "Making Marriage a High Priority". A very timely, and much-needed message for me personally.

I've also been devouring podcasts about books via What Should I Read Next? My "to read list" has doubled, y'all.

TV & Movies:
We didn't venture to the movies this month, but we did manage to start a new show. We've been enjoying The Flash late at night after the kids go to bed. Also, I watched You've Got Mail for the millionth time. It just makes a good day better. ;) I'm also watching Fixer UpperGilmore Girl Re-Runs. I'm excited about the new Gilmore Girl episodes coming out this fall! Can't wait.

Pinning Away:
I've been busy on pinterest looking up ideas for Tot School for my 2 1/2 year-old. She loves learning, and anytime she's around older kids she tries to imitate their skills. For example, an older girl that she likes to play with was singing the alphabet, and Evie tried to sing along as well. Since then, she walks around the house calling out random letters. I'm trying to find a simple approach that would give her a few minutes of "learning time" whether it's through artwork or one of her favorite leap frog videos.

I've also enjoyed learning more about the Charlotte Mason & Montessori methods of learning. They seem like they would build off each other nicely. We plan to homeschool, so I'm starting early with learning more about teaching, curriculum, and educational philosophies. 


What about you? What are you into? I'd love to hear!! Linking up with What I'm Into at Leigh's blog.

PS. Be sure to join me on GoodReads! I love meeting other bookworms and finding new titles to read!! :)

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE What Alice Forgot as well as the Birth Order book and Better Than Before. Do you listen to Gretchen Rubin's podcast? It's one of my favorites. I am a big fan of What Should I Read Next but I agree, it is blowing up my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should try out The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty next. It's my second favorite of hers after What Alice Forgot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love The Flash! It's such a fun show! I haven't read any of Liane Moriarity, but I've ordered her latest, Truly, Madly, Guilty. I hope it's good!

    ReplyDelete

My Blog Has Moved....

 I have officially moved my blog.... https://thekindredschoolroom.blogspot.com Hope you join me there!! ~Heather

About Me

My photo
I'm a wife, homeschool mom, and homemaker learning to enjoy the simple things in life. Which may or may not include a good latte, meaningful books, decorating my home, and all things French & Disney related. Thanks for visiting!