Wednesday, August 3, 2016

The Importance of Goal Setting + More Personality Talk


For years, I've struggled with why I sometimes thrive with structure and routine, and while at other times it seems that it is the very thing that leads to burnout. Since taking the time to learn more about my personality (ENFP/Type 9), I've found out something fairly shocking:

I am not an organized person by nature. But, I thrive on goals.

This would make my husband shake his head at me (I'm often told I'm too organized or too structured, etc.). It sounds like a complete oxymoron, right?

Yet, upon exploring more about what makes me tick as an ENFP, I've learned two things: a) I can be a bit scattered and b) I can easily be organized. 

Case in point: If I tell myself I need to clean out the closet, but don't set goals for it, it won't get done. It's a bit humbling, to say the least. On the other hand, if I tell myself that I need to clean out the closet and write a quick list of goals to help me carry out that task, I will have it done within a few hours.

Needless to say, creating goals, routines, and using a daily planner has changed my life. It helps to stay organized, which leads to thriving with my day to day life.

For me personally, I need a few simple boundaries: The morning hours are blocked off for work. Afternoon hours are blocked off for house cleaning. The kids nap time is for "me" time. I use a daily planner to remind myself of appointments, deadlines, etc. I also focus on 3-4 daily goals. By keeping my goals to a bare minimum, I'm less tempted to get carried away or overwhelmed. It also allows me to give 100% to whatever I'm focusing on. 

According to Small Biz Trends"Set achievable goals, over small periods of time." Their argument was that it will help you stay motivated. I tend to agree.

Sometimes-- less really is more. 

What about you? How do you set goals? Do you find that goals and routines help you stay motivated? 

3 comments:

  1. Great tips! I just wrote about monthly goals today, and agree on short term, achievable goals. Something like practice self-care 3 times a week seems totally manageable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm similar to you, unorganized but motivated by pressure and goals! These are great tips. With blogging recently, I've had to be more aggressive with daily goals and organization or I get SWAMPED with a do list! Thanks for sharing ! :) XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Each month I have 15 goals I want to achieve and I give myself the entire month to do so with. Sometimes it takes me all 30 days and other times I knock them out in just a week. It all depends on my mindset.

    ReplyDelete

My Blog Has Moved....

 I have officially moved my blog.... https://thekindredschoolroom.blogspot.com Hope you join me there!! ~Heather

About Me

My photo
I'm a wife, homeschool mom, and homemaker learning to enjoy the simple things in life. Which may or may not include a good latte, meaningful books, decorating my home, and all things French & Disney related. Thanks for visiting!