Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Teaching Our Children About The Lord + Our Morning Basket (updated)




One of the most humbling things about being a parent is the simple fact that God chose us to be parents. It's such a gift, and not one that I take lightly.

 Not only that, but it's our responsibility to teach our children about the Lord! 

Thankfully, we have many tools to plant seeds-- whether it's through church attendance, books that we read, music that we listen to, personal prayer life, etc. For me, I've found that reading books about Bible stories has been one of the most effective ways for teaching little ones. When we fostered a little boy, I remember reading to him from a set of Bible stories that were written for a young child's perspective. He listened to them intently, and wanted to learn more. It was mind-blowing to see someone so young soaking up Bible stories.

Now we have two young daughters of our own. I love collecting vivid Bible story books, prayer books, and even individual Bible stories for the girls to enjoy.

The simplest way I've learned to incorporate teaching moments with the girls is by creating a "Morning Basket". I tend to follow a simple routine every morning during breakfast that includes the following:

  • Scripture Read Aloud (Currently rotating between Psalm 23 & Psalm 121)
  • Children's Devotional Book -OR- a book that highlights faith
  • Prayer Books for Children -OR- We talk about what God has blessed us with that week, etc.

These are just a few things that I like to do to plant seeds for our little ones.

What actions do you take to teach your little ones about the Lord?


28 comments:

  1. I like Lift the Flap Bible and Jesus Calling Bible Storybook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that these are only 5 minute stories (my daughter doesn't have the longest attention span, lol!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I only have board books and my old book for my daughter so far. If love something new. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I only have board books and my old book for my daughter so far. If love something new. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. For my sons baby shower we asked for books for him. He has his own little library right now of board books!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My son currently has a devotion book for moms & sons, but it's so long it loses his attention!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jesus Bible Calling Storybook, but would love to have more!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haven't added any new books lately so this would be great!

    Emilyannogle@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haven't added any new books lately so this would be great!

    Emilyannogle@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I recently added The Jesus Storybook Bible to my sons growing library and he loved it so much he finished it within 2 weeks. He would love this wonderful addition to his bedtime storytime.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We have lots of books. We love to read. I love this one though - it's super cute and will help my little guys build a relationship with God.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This would be a good first book for our library

    ReplyDelete
  13. This would be a good first book for our library

    ReplyDelete
  14. I recently added all of John Grisham's books

    ReplyDelete
  15. As a homeschooling mama, we constantly are adding books to our library. I just bought Homer Price and Esparanza Rising for my middle kids. My baby would love this book!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I followed and commented on your facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  17. my nephew is only 2 months old.. so we are trying to build his library. i recently got him a set of nursery rhymes in a box set that i plan to read to him when he gets a bit older!

    kmcgrew213@aolDOTcom

    ReplyDelete
  18. We haven't added any ones lately.. so would love to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like to add mysteries, cookbooks, and children's devotional books to our home library.

    Nancy
    allibrary (at) aol (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  20. My daughter has the storytime Bible. I know that she would love this book.

    Susan
    tsgsusans@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. We have added some new board books and Classics to our library recently but would love to add this too!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've added books from goodreads

    ReplyDelete
  23. We love adding books to our home library. A few of our favorites are our devotionals, classics like Pippi Longstocking and The Boxcar Children.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am God is a recent one we got for our son

    ashleymorrissey90(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  25. I've added a couple Laura Ingalls Wilder books to our library.

    ReplyDelete

My Blog Has Moved....

 I have officially moved my blog.... https://thekindredschoolroom.blogspot.com Hope you join me there!! ~Heather

About Me

My photo
I'm a wife, homeschool mom, and homemaker learning to enjoy the simple things in life. Which may or may not include a good latte, meaningful books, decorating my home, and all things French & Disney related. Thanks for visiting!