Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Our Cottage Farmhouse Kitchen Tour: Before & After

Before!

When we bought our house, I originally planned to stick with the oak cabinets. We did however plan to take down the wallpaper and replace the counter tops. The counter tops were Formica and had been painted yellow. The yellow and oak clashed a bit too much, and I just wanted something much more neutral for the center of our home.

We found ourselves with an extra week before we were to move in due to a hang up with the flooring crew. So, Josh decided to charge ahead and renovate the kitchen. The cabinets were really well built and solid. But, the varnish had started to wear off which lead us to the decision to repaint the cabinets!

I had fallen in love with the all white Cottage Kitchen look and Josh was really drawn to the more Modern Farmhouse style, so we combined our tastes and went for it!

It took us about two days to sand down all the cabinets (with an electric sander), then Josh and our parents primed the cabinets, then painted them with three coats of pure white.


A good friend of ours did the white on white subway tile for us. We also replaced our kitchen sink with a deep double sink, a hook faucet, and my favorite addition: our vintage replica light over the sink. It has a rubbed copper look which we both love! We tied in the modern farmhouse look with over sized silver drawer pulls and a modern kitchen light. You can see those in the video below.



We also replaced the dining room light with a farmhouse fixture. I love it! We found it at Lowe's, and it was such an awesome deal. We were both impressed with the lighting options there.

Here's the link to a full kitchen tour if you are interested:

21 comments:

  1. I love it! Super Joanna Gaines too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! this is stunning. I just love the subway tile! It turned out so good. I have been wanting to update our kitchen a bit this is very inspiring! thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really love the subway tile--it is SO easy to clean!

      Delete
  3. Love the transformation! Gray is a gorgeous color as well. Wonderful work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it!! Especially that light fixture above the sink. So simple. So subtle. Yet makes a bold statement at the same time! My family is considering doing a kitchen renovation, and I'm going to have to show them these pictures and the video!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! That's what I was hoping to do...bold statement. Thank you so much for your kind words. <3

      Delete
  5. I love it!! What a stunning transformation!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. I love the remodel! The kitchen looks so bright and airy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bright and airy was our goal, so thank you!!! <3

      Delete
  7. I love it! I've always been a fan of white kitchens. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok Im IN LOVE with this!!! Im wishing we could update but we are renting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a transformation! I'm craving even more photos of this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful transformation!!! This is absolutely gorgeous! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your makeover! I'm planning on doing a kitchen and gathering ideas for a farmhouse style.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post yet I was thinking about whether you could compose a litte more on this subject? I'd be extremely grateful on the off chance that you could expound a smidgen further. Welcome it! Pier Foundation home plans

    ReplyDelete

My Blog Has Moved....

 I have officially moved my blog.... https://thekindredschoolroom.blogspot.com Hope you join me there!! ~Heather

About Me

My photo
I'm a wife, homeschool mom, and homemaker learning to enjoy the simple things in life. Which may or may not include a good latte, meaningful books, decorating my home, and all things French & Disney related. Thanks for visiting!